About the Bredbo Inn
Bredbo Inn Hotel is the perfect stop over on the Monaro Highway between Canberra and Cooma. We are close to the snowfields in winter and good fishing in summer. Our recently renovated rooms have en suites, heating and television and our bistro has a mouth-watering selection of meals Wednesday to Sunday for lunch and dinner. Our recently renovated bar provides the perfect atmosphere to catch up and have a cold beer or glass of wine. Our bar also features TAB facilities and a Bottlemart Express.
History of the Pub
The Bredbo Inn is a main stop on the way to the South Coast and Snowy Mountains. It was established as an inn in 1836. The hotel has one of the longest running licenses in NSW and is one of the oldest pubs in Australia still operating. During the Kiandra gold rush Bredbo became a safe haven from bushrangers and an overnight stop for the gold coach.
The Inn, in the early 20th century hosted squatters, visitors, travellers and a number of ‘notables’ including the Australian poet, Banjo Patterson, Colonel J.M. (Jack) Arnott, Mark Foy, and Anthony Horden.
Publicans associated with the hotel from the 1870s to the mid 1890s were the Ware family. In 1871 the inn was known as “Ware’s Accommodation House” and in 1895 the inn was purchased by Mr R.J. Goggin. The inn was originally a stone and mud building which Mr Goggin added to from bricks made on site to form the present Bredbo Hotel building. The present hotel includes parts of the original building and the original stable can be seen at the rear of the hotel.
The Man from Snowy River
Bredbo (Hotel) Inn, is believed to be the place where ‘The Man from Snowy River’ died. It is believed that he passed away in the premises after falling from his horse crossing the bridge on a frosty morning. According to legend, the author of The Man from Snowy River, Banjo Paterson, was a regular of the Bredbo Inn and on one occasion told the publican that local horseman Charlie McKeahnie was indeed the man from Snowy River. While there have been many claims of the true identity of the man from Snowy River, established and well-regarded historian Tim the Yowie Man has extensively researched the topic and believes the Bredbo Inn to be the man from Snowy River’s place of passing.
If you are looking for a good read, be sure to read through Tim’s article on the Bredbo Inn here.
Bredbo was discovered on 6th June 1823, by Brigade Major Ovens and Captain John Currie, RN. Currie described the land as being ‘strangely treeless with a great expanse of rolling rich grass lands’. The delimiting of rural settlement did not restrain the advance of pastoralists beyond the defined ‘limits of location’ described in Government Order of 14 October 1829 as the Nineteen Counties. The Counties were within precise boundaries that had been established beyond which settlers were not allowed to receive grants or to lease land. By 1831 settlers were pouring across the frontiers in scores. Settlers took up land around the Bradbow (Bredbo) River soon after the explorations of Overns and Currie had been reported.
The village developed from early 1830s as the gateway supporting squatters as they selected land in the district, overlanded to Portland (Victoria) and Adelaide (South Australia). Today Bredbo Village remains the gateway to Monaro region and the Snowy Mountains. It is close to the Australian Capital Territory, Queenbeyan and Cooma, and is the gateway to the regions snowfields in winter and fishing in summer.
Bredbo was proclaimed a village on 20th October 1888 and in 2013 celebrates 125 years. The village is located at the confluence of the Bredbo and Murrumbigee Rivers. Rolling hills surround the immediate village area, and there are views to higher hills and ranges surrounding the village. There is open rural land to the north of the village. The slight rise immediately to the east of the highway provides an attractive eastern edge, and as a consequence of this landform, when travelling from the north, the arrival at the town is a pleasant surprise, announced by the historic Bredbo Inn.
The town does not have a defined centre, rather the highway, with passes through the village, was the central page of the village. The highway ‘strip’ has several eating places (including the Bredbo Inn) and shops. A distinctive feature of the village is the wide streets and large, flat building blocks. The building style in Bredbo is diverse, with a mixture of historic building and manufactured dwellings across the village area. Dwellings extend from the Bredbo Inn to the Bredbo River.
Today, Bredbo Village offers travellers a warm welcome and genuine country hospitality. The Bredbo Inn is a popular starting point to meet the locals and gain a wealth of knowledge about the township and surrounding area.
Information on this page contains parts from the publication “Bredbo – Gateway to Monaro and Snowy Mountains” which was research and complied by Cheryl M. May.